Document: Photodesk HowTo2.91
Copyright: All text and images © Lee Montgomerie and Chris Terran 2002 (except where noted)
Format: HTML generated from templates by SiteMan 0.22 for RISC OS: SiteMan/NeuLisp © 2002 Rhiannon Software
Dated: 3 Mar 2003
Our warmest thanks to The Iconbar for generously providing a home for this site, and for the guestbook facilities.
Thanks to Photodesk Ltd for a fine piece of software.
Thanks to the sterling work of the RISC OS community and its supporters, especially the writers of PD / shareware / freeware software.
Special thanks to all those who've responded to this web site with encouragement, criticism and suggestions:
- Mohamed Abdullah, Michael Bailey, Charles Barraball, Bent Bracke, Martin Brown, Evan Clark, Brian Cocksedge, Les Cowley, Bill Cutler, Roger Darlington, Dr Bev & Jan Ewen-Smith, Henry Falkner, Brian Ferris, Reg French, Marten Gallagher, Ben Garbutt, Kell Gatherer, Peter Gaunt, Michael Gerbracht, Richard Goodwin, George Greenfield, Mike Habbershaw, Stuart Halliday, Andrew Harmsworth, Andrew Hodgkinson, Martin Hodgson, Chris Hornby, Brian Jordan, Len Killip, Holger Klingspohr, Dave Lawton, "Lenny", Alan Lewer, Liz Leyden, Ryan Li, Ola Lind, Duncan MacCallum, Peter McCaskill, John McCulloch, David McDowell, Michael M Martin, Roger Mayne, Charles Minchin, Jim Nagel, Barry Newbery, 'Jean-Claude Picard', Ian R Platt, Richard Porter, Steve Potts, Tim Powys-Lybbe, Keith Reedman, Malcolm Ripley, Jeremy Roberts, Peter "Mac" Russell, Leon Ruwette, Joy Savage, Len Seal, Paul Setford, Gill Smith, Colin Sutton, Arthur Taylor, Nicholas van der Walle, Bernard Veasey, Jeff Wallis, Peter Watkins, Alan Wickham, David H Wild, John Williams, Stan Williams & Damae Jongkind, Alastair Yates
Since version 2.80 (3 May 2002) the site has been generated from template files by SiteMan, a web authoring program written by Chris in NeuLisp (a RISC OS Lisp interpreter, also written by Chris ... the nice thing about writing programs in your own language is that you can change it when it doesn't quite do what you want). Prior to that the pages were written using EasiWriter, because ... well, it was easy. It was saved as HTML, with a final few tweaks by hand to tidy it up.
All graphics were made on Photodesk, ably assisted by the following programs:
Including all Martin Wuerthner's wonderful improvements and plug-ins
Sophie Wilson's essential image processor
Peter Hartley's definitive GIF toolkit
J David Barrow's freeware JPEG utility; trims, cleans and tidies all in one! Can handle progressive JPEGS.
Richard Goodwin's freeware palette creator, which improves significantly on Photodesk's native facilities and also comes with a wide selection of predefined palettes
Rick Hudson's excellent freeware image browser
Robust networking software
Near-perfect text editor
Small, fast and fully-featured web server
Hardware used included:
- Iyonix PC (512MB RAM) running RISC OS 5.01
- RiscStation R7500 (80MB RAM) running RISC OS 4.03
- StrongARM RiscPC 600 (81MB RAM) running RISC OS 3.7
- PC (1GHz, 384MB RAM) running Windows 98
- PC (133MHz, 40MB RAM) running Windows 95
- Netgear network hub
- HP LaserJet 5L printer
- Epson Stylus Photo 890 printer
- Canoscan N12200 flatbed scanner
- Paint Pal graphics tablet
- Fuji FinePix 4800Z digital camera
- Fuji FinePix 2300 digital camera
- Canon AE-1 SLR camera
- Olympus OM-1 SLR camera
- Yashica compact camera
- Konus 114mm reflecting telescope
- Various lenses, filters, tripods and other accessories
Unless otherwise stated, all photographs are by Chris and Lee. Many come from our trips to Zambia and Portugal in 2001.